Sunday, January 30, 2011

Being Professional Friendly: A Journey with Wave 8-A

After my 1st stint as a writer trying-out in an internet company that....what the crap, I still don't know what that place really is, errr, at Hubport, I simply didn't knew what to do next. Results of the NLE to be released were still a month then. I knew I still couldn't get a job in a hospital and I just don't have the patience with training knowing that I would probably waste one year since I still won't be able to apply for a regular job (let along you won't get a salary). I knew that I really need to get a job. I just don't know what. I found out my writing skills weren't that topnotch, so I had to look at my other skills that could actually get me a job. Well, I'm not much of a good singer (I don't think I'll get hired to sing songs at weddings), I'm a good dancer (but my bolts are kinda rusty), but I can draw well (but I don't think police sketches could be drawn in anime). I was really left with something I knew I'm good at, but probably something I wasn't really considering as a chosen career. I can talk in English. I talk in English a lot. Since I write in English a lot, then it does really mean I can talk in English. So being a call center agent was something I wasn't really looking forward to have as a job back in college, but hey, its the only high-paying job a nursing graduate like me could apply at. But the question was where? Where would I apply? In all honesty, only one word just popped out in my head...

Hiring people who probably won't stay long.

I applied to Sutherland two weeks ago and I must say, it was a breeze. Not to brag or anything, I already expected to get hired. Sutherland would be dumb enough to drop me off. But in reality, they could and they would have dropped someone like me. Whatever, I got in anyway. After I signed my contract, I thought I would just go through training by the following week. After finishing of the requirements, I was already looking forward for my job training. The week came and yeah, there was training, but hooboy, it was another story.

I came in being part of "Wave 78". There were a lot of trainees, 32 people all got accepted in the AT&T Dark Blue account. It's kinda cliche to use the term "accepted" because in reality, we will have to go through two weeks of proving grounds to really stay on that account. So much for looking forward for a "job" training. We were able to meet our trainer, Miss Julie, and she explained what we have to go through for the entire two weeks. But the most important thing she remind us with is that we must talk in English all the time, in the English speaking zone, all the time. Nah, we spoke in vernacular whenever she wasn't around. Anyways, the one thing that she said that really go stuck in my head was when she said "Don't get too much attached with your co-trainees." I completely understood what she was trying to say, but it didn't bother me that much. I went there to get a job. Sure, making friends would be nice, but my focus was to do good to get the job. I didn't realize that time that there were something more painful than just simply not getting the job.

On the first week, we had to go through some orientation about being in the BPO industry, what it takes to be call center agents, err, consultants, and a little review of Subject-Verb Agreement and Tenses (grade school English more or so). We also got the chance to talk and share things through English. But during that week, our entire wave was separated into two groups, Wave 8-A and Wave 8-B. I got stuck in Wave 8-A or as I call it, the "Quiet" group. During the1st week, I was really able to get to know my "wavemates". All of us had a lot in common. And when I say a lot, I meant we were "all-nursing-graduates-waiting-anxiously-for-the-result-but-decided-to-apply-and-get-a-job-while-waiting" similar. All of us had different reasons why we applied there. Some were bored, got nothing else better to do, wants a job already and simply wants to have money (like me). The 1st week was really dull and boring, but the upcoming days became more interesting. I was quiet most of the time because I always feel lazy to share things, so I listen to them whenever we group ourselves in the room. It gets awkward at times because most of us would probably just want to stick with two or three people we already got comfortable with. We did eat lunch and take merienda breaks together. And as much as we don't talk that much, or I don't talk that much for that matter, we still end up becoming a single unit perse. All throughout the first week, each and everyone of us were getting comfortable with one another.

Second week came and it was the most crucial part of our COL (Center of Learning) training. This was the be all to end all. We were going to have Post-Assessment and Call Simulation. We needed to pass those two, so on the first three days, we had mock calls or practice calls with Miss Julie. It was really nerve cracking because as much as its simple to talk in English, we had to learn how to deal with different scenarios. Sure, we had a guide, but its quite different to apply the guidelines when you have to deal with different types of customers. Since majority of our time are spent waiting for our turn, we end up talking and sharing stuff with one another. Every hours, minutes and seconds that pass, our relationship with one another grew. We weren't simply wavemates anymore but rather, we were becoming friends with each other. We really got comfortable with one another. Each and everyone of us had a unique or different characteristic but nevertheless, we just learned to appreciate one another. I still kept my "shy-quite" persona for a while, but I was quickly shedding it off bit by bit. Everyone seemed friends with the other, but no one would actually expect that we were already spending the last few days together...

Post-Assessment was scheduled on Thursday and Call simulation was on Friday. It was crunch time for all of us. We all had our fair share of ups and downs during mock calls, but this was finally proving time. Post-Assessment was something I found easy because in truth, you're just going to have a conversation in English. I knew that I failed Pre-Assessment since I made a lot of mistakes in SVA (Subject-Verb Agreement). It really made me realize that I am not that good as I thought I was. Nevertheless, I improved during mock assessment and I knew I would ace this. As I looked at my wavemates, they were all nervous, but I believe they would do good. For their own sake, they need to do good. After everyone was done with their post-assessment, we were waiting for the results. When our trainer called out names, no one had an idea if they passed, failed, or simply everyone was being called to know the result. When Ms. Julie stopped calling names from our group, I already knew something was wrong. It's either the people who were called passed and we, the people who got left failed or they failed, and we passed. When we, the left ones got a chance to look at our grades, we were all glad that we passed, I for one, since I got the 2nd highest mark. But we all felt sad because half of us failed. I just couldn't stay happy if I knew my wavemates, my friends, failed.

After knowing our grades, we quickly went to our comrades and gave our final goodlucks. They will have to go through re-validation so they could still take call simulation. However, they have a certain grade that they must get. I knew that it was going to be a huge task for their part, but I believe in them. I was doubting myself, but not to them. I saw their weaknesses, but I just knew they could do it. They had strengths that even I don't posses. Next day came and the good news was that all of them passed. But the challenge for them was to get a much higher grade. It was nerve cracking, but we had each other to comfort one another (char!). As the call simulation started, everyone seemed to have a hard time. No one had a "good" call. When it was finally my turn, despite everything that I did, I simply flatter and failed to help the, so I say, "illogical" customer. From that moment, I knew it was the end. I got so depressed that I left and unwind at an internet cafe. I came back to have lunch with my wavemates and then the simulations continued. After everyone was done, only two of us got to resolve the customer's problem. We all felt that we failed. Everyone still hoped that all of us could pass, but I'm sure all of us had that little hope of still ever passing the call simulation after our individual performances. When Ms. Julie came to give the results, I already had that light feeling that I failed it. It was in alphabetical order. I had to hear the news last. One by one, my wavemates went out to know their grades and one by one, they came back with a smile or a frown face. Slowly, I was seeing my wavemates passed, and some simply failed. I want to sympathize, but I had to know my grade first. When it was my turn, I was really in utter disbelief that I passed. Left alone I was the highest. Our trainer said that I was able to handle the call the right way despite not able to help the customer. Despite I was already agitated, I was able to keep a calm voice. I was still in disbelief, but I was just glad I passed. I came in the room with a smile on my face, but as I look to my wavemates, the phrase that Ms. Julie said a week earlier finally sank into me...

"Don't get too much attached with your co-trainees."

I was simply sad that after spending two weeks with these guys, I probably won't see them ever again. Sure, I had their numbers, I'm friends with them in Facebook, let alone I am friends with them already in real life, but I just felt that there is a chance I probably won't see them anymore. I just hate myself for not being that outspoken. If I only knew, I would have tried to be as much as close to them as possible for that short period of time. We all sat their and just tried to comfort one another. But at the end of the day, this is still a job. But damn it, I just couldn't keep it completely professional. Just when I was slowly getting close to them, it just had to happen.

We did plan to have a gathering later on that night. We had drinks and karaoke. It was really a great bonding time. It felt like we knew each other for a long time, but it could probably be the last time we spent with each together. For sure, I would like to think there is still a next time, but it's a possibility it could be the last. I had to left early because I was still going to overnight at a friend's house. I said my goodbyes as if I would still see them next week, but I knew it will be a while, or perhaps, I'll never see them again...

I may be a quiet guy, but I know how to cherish people that I roll with. Sure, two weeks isn't that long, but I've rolled with them just enough to call them all my friends. To Icy, Laya, Paul, Jen, Lyka, Real, JC, Arjie, Brandon, Mau, Shang, Ralph, Shine, and Irish, thank you so much guys for a very meaningful two weeks with you undergoing COL training. Wherever the roads are taking us after all the training we had, I wish you all the best and I will never forget the friendship that we built-on. Friends forever guys!! Wave 8-A for life!! :D

P.S.
I know we went through a lot of SVA and Tenses lesson and whatnot, so I hope you were able to bare any grammatical mistakes. Trust me I was being emotional, its hard, hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment