Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Twas a Grey Christmas

How's my Christmas you ask? Oh, nothing much, greyer than grey.

It doesn't snow in the Philippines. The closest thing you can get to a snowy Christmas morning here is to have a raining Christmas morning. And that's how it was when I woke up in Christmas morning. Dark skies, moderate rain, just like I wanted my Christmas to be. You might be wondering why I wanted my Christmas to be that way. Well to be frank, for the past few months I haven't really been excited for Christmas. Its starting to be just another holiday, another day for me for that matter. Maybe its because of the crap that I've been through. And when you go to a lot of crap, its either you rise, go on and take it as a challenge or you can go down and let it take the colors of your life. For my part, I went through all of those but I ended having the colors of my life taken away from me. Now everything seems to be white and black, I don't feel like doing anything special anymore and worst of all, my outlook in life just turned gray.

Christmas is suppose to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus. While biblical historians have pointed out that Jesus wasn't technically born in December 25, its already an accepted creed for Christians around the world. But despite that, Christmas is also the celebration of giving. This is a season where family reunion happens, where the act of sharing is seen and where there is always extra on everything. Extra food, extra drinks, extra money, everything you can think off is extra on this day (I guess extra love counts too...pfft). Christmas for me has been about the two facts, but unbeknownst to the world, December 25th is also the day where the birth of some guy in the Philippines is celebrated. Yes, it is also my birthday.

While I always put over Jesus' birthday over mine, I guess it won't hurt if people also remember its my birthday. Everyone seems to be born randomly. I don't think parents ever plan when their child will be born (except if you were born in November, then your parents wanted to make you on Feb. 14), but it always feel nice if their child were born on a special date. Imagine what would the parents think if there child was born on All Soul's Day? But while parents, in my opinion, don't matter when their child would be born (maybe if the baby was born on the same date as a past tragedy), then any date will do. Being born in New Year's Day is quite awesome, but if you were born in Christmas, that is just plain extra special. "You're a blessing" or "You're special" seem to be said to anyone born in Christmas. But you can pretty much say it to any new born baby.

In a sense, being named Noel and was born in Christmas seem to give you enough leverage that you are special, that maybe you can do more than what others can. While I don't want to hype myself up, I always get the "amazed" look from people when they found out I was born on Christmas. The past Christmas have been good for me, amazing for some. But as you grow, the inevitable happens. Christmas loses it sense as you grow. Don't get me wrong, its still the most wonderful time of the year. But while other people get to celebrate this day and their birthday, I only get to celebrate those two things in one day. So if that day doesn't play out I wanted it to be, then pretty much everything is a wreck.

This year's Christmas was suppose to be a little bit special. It was my 21st birthday. I didn't expect a huge celebration or anything, but my parents surprised me again. While I am very thankful with the surprise, its a shame as I wasn't able to invite people as I've been downplaying the people around me that I won't be celebrating. But I shouldn't mind that because the important thing is that my closest friends will show up, then again, I was wrong. Only 4 friends dropped by, and pretty much, that was just the nail in the coffin. I don't want to keep grudges, it is what it is. I understand its Christmas, need to spend it with the family, but it was my debut. They didn't miss the past few Christmas, maybe for one last time (I would like to think this would be my last time to have a celebration on my birthday) they could show up. But all I got was a cold shoulder. And to top it all off, I didn't even got that much greetings. While Facebook is kind enough to remind that its your friend's birthday, some couldn't even bother. Like I said, I put Jesus' birthday over mine but it wouldn't hurt to greet someone, even someone you don't personally know a happy birthday. Then again, I'm a good guy, I won't take it against them. I'm just good ol' Noel Yulo.....no one cares. Still, I'm thankful for every person who greeted.

But despite all of that, I'm still thankful of the Christmas I had this year. It marked my 21st birthday and I got to celebrate it with people that matters most, my family. Sure it wasn't the way I could have planned it to be, but hey, as long as you got family around you, its already enough. Best of all, at least despite my "nobody" status, I still got few friends who cared to show up. This wasn't the best Christmas or birthday I ever had, but Christmas is still Christmas and a birthday is still a birthday, I could've had it worst, but I still get to enjoy it and lived to celebrate it. So for every hype that Christmas gets, just like anyone else despite its quite grey for me, you feel sad 'coz its finally over. And after waiting for a months its quite disappointing that it doesn't play out the way you want it to be, but what's done is done. You move one and wait for another 365 days, it isn't that long.

So twas a grey Christmas. Nothing much more you can ask for. Come to think of it, its quite sad that it didn't felt good. I wanted it to be gray, but at the end of the day, I wish it would be as colorful as the Christmas lights on the Christmas tree. In a way, I think I still had a great Christmas. I got to give gifts to my cousins, bought them and wrapped them myself. I practiced the true meaning of Christmas and I didn't forget who we offer this season for, the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. And by the way, I got to celebrate it like a boss. Well, it was another Christmas past. Can't say I'm looking forward for the next one as I still got a year of shit to go through, but I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. And to all, a goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment