Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Long Lost Love for Pokemon

Gotta catch 'em all. But why?
Any kid who grew up in the 90's most probably was expose to these cute "pocket" monsters or more famously know as Pokemon. Although Pokemon is still considered big today, I would like to believe that it wasn't as big when it came out. I'm no historian but pretty much Pokemon racked up a lot of dough in it's heyday and is still considered one of the biggest franchises in video game history, or should say entertainment industry. Over the years Pokemon has changed from video games to TV shows and it has always entertained a hug fan base of mostly kids all over the world. While at first I never really got the concept on why they are called "pocket monsters", they are attractive bunch of animal-like creatures with powers and the little ol' me just couldn't resist and get fascinated with this so called monsters. But like any other kid, growing up came into play and most likely I was going to outgrow something. And like any other form of child's play, Pokemon was no exception.

It all started here. The Pokemon game that indirectly told you to choose Squirtle.
Pokemon started as a video game for the original Gameboy. It started off with the Red and Green (Japan only) Version then later a Blue Version for international release. Now, I never got to own the original Gameboy but it was in 2000 that my uncle funded me and my sister with acquiring a Gameboy Color (GBC). Now during this time GBC was on its last legs as the Gameboy Advance (GBA) was slowly coming up from the horizon as the newest gaming handheld from Nintendo. Still, GBC was still a nice piece of gaming device during that time as it has a huge library of games. I was still 9 years old that time and to own a gaming handheld was a dream come true. A couple of months earlier during that time, a local channel in the Philippines aired an anime that was titled "Pokemon" and it was about a young trainer named Ash who owns a Pikachu and starts of an adventure to become the Pokemon Master. While the premise was simple, it introduced a lot of characters, specifically the original 151 Pokemon and from there on I fell in love with the show. Basically I was introduced to the anime first before the video game so when it was the time to choose for the cartridge that I wanted, it was a no brainer that I chose an in-1 bootleg cartridge that had Pokemon games in it.

Ohhh, look at all the pretty colors.

The cartridge contained Pokemon Gold, Yellow, Red and Blue version. Technically since I was the older brother I got to hog more so I got to play the Gold, Yellow and Blue version while my sister got to play the Red one only. I can't remember any much the details on what I did but as far as I know, I was mainly playing Blue because of the original Pokemon then I played next was Gold because its in color and provided a more dynamic gameplay compared to the first generation. As much as the Yellow version was a great port (and was heavily based on the TV show), I just wan't that keen on using a Pikachu as a starter Pokemon. Nevertheless, after countless hours playing Pokemon, I finished all three games and considered myself a Pokemon Champion (which was a huge honor that time...I think). It was a huge accomplishment for me as a gamer kid since I never saw myself playing RPG games. That time, it wasn't long 'till GBA was becoming mainstream and a new generation of Pokemon will come. Sadly, just never got the opportunity to have one and it killed any hunger I had with playing further Pokemon games. Although GBA emulators were starting to become a thing and presented an opportunity for me to play the 3rd-Generation Pokemon games, I felt that time that I have outgrown it and my interest with other video game franchises and genres grew and such my days as a Pokemon Trainer ended.

What's better than an emulator in PC? An emulator in your phone that's what.

It was only recent that my interest in Pokemon came back again after seeing my co-trainer at work playing the new Pokemon X (or Y, not sure) on his Nintendo 3DS. While I have given up already any plans I had for getting a 3DS (or any gaming handheld for that matter), him playing Pokemon got me thinking of playing again. And since I acquired a good Nintendo DS emulator for my phone, I gave it a shot. Instantly, I fell in love playing Pokemon again and while I played the Platinum Version which is quite outdated, it was the best piece of Pokemon gaming I have and since then I have been enjoying it. Although I could say to myself that I am far more mature when it comes to playing it (I don't delete non-attack moves that much), I still enjoy it as if I was still a 9-year old kid. Though I don't play it religiously as I did as a kid, it's nice to go back to those things that defined your childhood.

Pokemon has grown on its own as one of the biggest entertainment franchise in the world. I couldn't fathom how big it has gotten and I don't expect it to slow down any sooner. With gaming technology advancing these days, fans are yet to see a full 3D Pokemon experience. With that being said, I honestly can't tell if I'll ever pick up a Pokemon game and start playing it like my old 9-year old self. It's nice that anytime I feel bored I can just play in my smart phone but it's quite different when you are playing the actual game on its actual device and spend hours and hours training your Pokemon and engage yourself with tons of battles. Nevertheless, my love for Pokemon will never be gone and I will always be a Pokemon Master, Trainer and a fan. Pokemon will always be in my heart forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment