Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Little Things: A Happy 1st Anniversary

Anniversaries. It's something that I would never imagine in my life I would get to celebrate. Sure, if I want to make my birthday sound grandeur I could always say its my anniversary of being a human being on this Earth, but that would just be plain stupid. I could also call my friendship with various people an anniversary but I wouldn't be able to tell when was the friendship really official. Anniversaries are usually celebrated only by couples, whether married or just in a relationship. Now those two things have eluded my thoughts for a very long time as I always had some struggles with my love life. Things change however when you have finally met that one person you can say you can be with. And though you end up being in a relationship, it's not like everyone can stay together for a good year to celebrate an anniversary so to actually reach that milestone would be special. 

You can claim it on your first week together but you can't really tell even if you have been a year together. 
Hey I can rhyme too.

So why am I talking about anniversaries by the way. It's because me and my girlfriend are celebrating our first anniversary. A first for the both of us (she had three previous relationships that weren't that long and I got zero) so today is a very special day. To commemorate this special occasion, let me tell you of a story on how I ended up having a relationship up to one year...

Don't worry, at this point at best my story would just be two episodes long.

It wasn't a long time go when I was still at my previous company working as a sales coach. I was doing sales assessment interviews before as part of my tasks (and grocery shopping I might add). One particular day, I was told that I would be doing phone interviews to applicants from the friendly city of Cagayan de Oro (CDO for short). As I was doing my interviews, I stumbled by the name O***** B***** (she doesn't like her full name to be put in the internet) or for short Mai. So I was assessing Mai and she seemed okay so I gave her an 85% (which was a passing mark) and I moved along to the next applicant. Around that time I just got into a failed attempt to court a girl and in a way still had a little bit of hangover from her. Anyways, I just went on my life and as much as I can enjoyed the single life (just the way I did it for the past 21 years at that point). 

As time went by, a new wave of applicants came into the account and due to an emergency, their trainer asked me and my co-sales coach to entertain the new class while he runs an errand. So there I was doing my usual "over the top" introduction when suddenly I stumbled upon a pretty face. During that time any girl that can catch my attention will most likely be on my "Get with Her" list. Luckily, I got her name from her trainer but it didn't cross my mind that she was that girl I interviewed before. I tried to look for her in Facebook but her name can't be found. So all I ever did was stare her from afar planning on how I could get her number.

It wasn't long when I finally got to discover stuff about her (still asked her trainer) and truth be told her religion somewhat took me aback. But for some reason I still had this itch to at least try and ask her out. Their wave was about to have sales training and I made sure that I get to be their sales trainer. By luck (or plainly convincing my mentor) I got to train her class. Of course, being a professional that I am, I kept my cool and waited for the right time. Good thing that opportunity knocked on my door as a wavemate of hers added me on Facebook, and being the Batman that I am, used that opportunity to look for her name and voila, tricky girl, all she did was reversed her name and added her right on the spot. So after my training with them I messaged her like a smooth talker and it wasn't long 'till I got her number. 

Tip: Never start off with a "Hi. How are you?" You'll sound like a pussy. A real talker starts off with using a topic that they won't have a choice but to respond to it. #TheGame

Of course after a short conversation I got to invite her to go out. Note, it was normal for me that time to invite any girl so I didn't take it as a huge thing as I didn't want to jinx myself. To cut the story short, we went out (though she initially didn't want to as I seemed like a playboy), ate dinner and had coffee. Pretty basic stuff for a first date. Suddenly, while I was listening to her life story and previous relationship, I got this message from God and I was reminded of all the times I got my heart broken and asking him why it never worked out for me, why couldn't I get a girl? And the answer was in front of me. Truth be told I wasn't really that sure what's going to happen. All I know that time is that I wanted to pursue her. Truth be told I know it was going to be difficult and challenging but I was up to the test. This was the reason why God gave me a heart that loves so much. And so, my journey began again for the sixth time but for some reason, I felt that my odds would be better this time around.

I started courting her after that and I was at her boarding house more than I should have been. We hang out most of the time, eat somewhere and honestly at that time I was a touchy suitor but she seemed the type that didn't mind (later on I found out she just didn't really know how to shout rape). It wasn't long 'till she had to move to another place as her previous boarding house was only going to be funded by the company for three months. So I helped her and some of her wavemates in moving out and I still kept going on. I wasn't really sure what I was doing that time but all I knew was that when she needed something, I'll always be there for her. Sure, it got me into trouble at work but as long as I can go and see her or get her something I will be there for her. During those times we were getting intimate already, but she still doesn't want to commit as she's not from Davao. To keep the story short, after all the drama, crying and singing "Little Things" (my song for her) to her, she finally said yes to me on the wee hours of March 16, 2013, and from there on, the rest was history. 

A lot of things happened in our one year being together. Most of the time we were in a long-distance relationship (or LDR) as she decided to go home and resign to rest. Still, we were always in touch and like any other couple, we still have our fights and dramas but through it all we always find ways to make it up with each other. She tried to come back and tried to get a job her again but after a month of going nowhere, she decided to go back to CDO to pursue her nursing licensure exam. I went to visit her in CDO every month after that and though the expenses were quite high, I couldn't afford not seeing her. She had her mistakes, I had mine, but through it all, we survived the one year of being together. I can't really recall anymore what we have been through. The one year felt like years when you look back. Overall, I am happy we are still together.

Now I don't have a letter for her like the last time but I just want to say that I'm not a perfect boyfriend and I will never be. I know that I wasn't as sweet before as people always change. I had to adapt and my perception changes from time to time. Through it all, my love for her never went away. I know I made mistakes and for some I shouldn't be forgiven but the fact is I never cheated on her and she will always be the only girl for me. True, maybe life would be a lot easier if its with another girl, but my life wouldn't be any better. And I am proud to say that I love my Baby Mai more than anything in the world. I thank God for being there always for me, to give me the strength to love her. To my family and friends who I may not seem to have an eye to eye with at times, still supported us along the way, thank you. 

One year. Anniversary. So yeah, I'm celebrating it, I have achieved something in life. But it's not much of a goal for me. This is only the beginning of what could be forever and I'm looking forward to another year filled with fun, joy, challenges and dramas. I'm okay with whatever goes along my way, as long as I have her, everything will be fine, as it always has been.

12 months. 1 year. Must have done something good. Or maybe it's just love. Love. Genuinely. Unconditionally.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment